Support Fail

I am a big fan of chat support. I don’t have to drain my battery waiting on hold until its my turn in the queue. Plus when dealing with error messages its infinitely more helpful to be able to copy/paste to the agent. Sadly finding competent help is still an issue. Here is an excerpt from a recent chat support experience.

(8:39:41 PM) Sheldon He: The SSL will need to be re-issued, since they are IP specific.
(8:40:06 PM) Nick Anderson: ssl certificates are not tied to ip addresses
(8:40:56 PM) Sheldon He: Actually they are. They are domain and IP specific. That’s why it needs a dedicated IP.
(8:43:06 PM) Nick Anderson: ssl is just tied to a name, but you can only run one ssl cert per ip without the Server Name Indicator tls extension to openssl
(8:43:20 PM) Sheldon He: Well, according to our SSLs in the past, the SSL needs to be re-issued when you move from a Shared to a Reseller.
(8:45:40 PM) Sheldon He: I’m unable to change the settings here, this will require an admin. Please email them at [email protected] and we’ll be able to help you with this issue.

Luckily his final answer was correct and whoever answers the support emails was able to complete the ssl cert migration.

On a side note, its things like this that make me tell people to not use shared hosting accounts. Get yourself a VPS or a dedicated server if you want to do anything worth while.

12 Comments

• Amen. Glad you got it working. It sounds like he’s not unintelligent, just misinformed. Maybe it was a fluke?

• Typically I like to give the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately I have other experience with the same providor that leads me to believe it’s an epidemic in the first level responders. That of course is not uncommon but this would have cost the uninformed account holder the price of a new ssl certificate.

• Dusty Wilson Ubuntu Unknow wrote:

Life will be good when SNI works for everyone.

• I am still surprised at the number of people who don’t know about SNI. Well that and the whole “32bit cant address more than 4G of memory” totally ignoring PAE.

• Dusty Wilson Ubuntu Unknow wrote:

It feels like we are so close to being able to rely on SNI. It would be nice if MS would fix XP to support it. For now, we have to wait for everyone to leave XP for Win7. Or they can use Firefox (v2+) or Opera (v8+) instead of IE, of course. I don’t think Google Chrome + Win XP works, but it seems to on Chrome + Vista. Wikipedia shows that Safari works with version 3.2.1 + Mac OS X 10.5.6, but I haven’t confirmed it myself.

I’d love to not need a new IP for every stinkin’ SSL cert. At least you can use a wildcard cert for now if all of your sites are subdomains of a single root. (Or use alts in your SSL, but that comes with its own hassles.)

• Dusty Wilson Ubuntu Unknow wrote:

By the way, saying we have to wait for Win7 isn’t about Vista not supporting it. It’s about the users not wanting Vista. Vista seems to support SNI just fine.

• If Microsoft would push out a patch for IE6 I think most people could use it. As it is last time I checked IE6 still was a large portion of the population. It sucks to support those users but if you run an e-commerce business you cant pass up the sales.

• Dusty Wilson Ubuntu Unknow wrote:

They’ll just leave it as-is and wait for everyone to move away from XP. I don’t think IE7 on XP supports SNI either, by the way.

• On a side note …
    I’ve been using google chrome for over 24 hours now and I am loving it.

• Dusty Wilson Ubuntu Unknow wrote:

Did you compile it yourself or is there a packaged deb for it? I was going to build it myself, but I got lazy. It runs nice on Windows though. I just don’t want to use Windows.

• I used the ppa repository for ubuntu.

sudo echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/chromium-daily/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main"  > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
    sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 0xfbef0d696de1c72ba5a835fe5a9bf3bb4e5e17b5
    sudo aptitude update